Nobody is either too young or too old to receive proper oral health care. Babies already need a sufficient amount of oral care even before their tooth erupts. Despite the short-lived purpose of primary teeth, they still deserve some attention since they play an essential role for their successors – the adult teeth.
Fortunately, anyone at any age can avail of dentistry services. There is a specific type of dentist who is trained to cater to the needs of children from infancy to adolescence; they are the ones who usually provide the services under pediatric dentistry. This branch of dentistry consists of treatments and procedures which can benefit children in the long run. We at Southern Dental highly understand the importance of this practice, that is why we highly encourage parents to bring their children as soon as their first tooth erupts and no later than their first birthday. Even associations like ADA and AAPD recommend the same schedule which should be then maintained every six months.
Aside from professional attention, there are other things that parents should teach their children while they are young. It is best to develop these habits early for them to enjoy the benefits in the long run. Here is a list of tips our practice prepared.
- If there are no teeth present yet, clean their gums gently by rubbing a soft, damp cloth to get rid of any buildup.
- Never put your child in bed with a baby bottle that contains milk, or even worse, juice. Doing so exposes their teeth in factors that can lead to the formation of cavities.
- For babies, it is not yet advised for them to use toothpaste with fluoride, let them consume tap water for added teeth and gum protection.
- Limit or avoid their consumption of sugary and starchy foods. Doing so reduces their risk of suffering from cavities that can put their overall oral health at risk.
- As soon as children reach the right age, parents should teach and assist them in performing oral hygiene habits. Letting them understand the importance of such practice is best.
- Buying them oral products that contain fluoride like toothpaste and mouthwash is best. Choosing a small toothbrush with soft-bristles is highly advised.
Quick tip: To make oral hygiene practices more fun for children, let them choose the toothbrush with their favorite characters and toothpaste that comes in their favorite color or flavor.
Your child also deserve outstanding dental care services! We provide Pediatric Dentistry services in Webster, TX! Book their appointment with us at Southern Dental and let us help them achieve beautiful and healthy teeth!