Providing a comprehensive oral health care for your child is important from the time when they get their first milk tooth. An early visit to a pediatric dentist is highly encouraged to ensure that your child’s teeth and gums are properly cared for.
You do not have to wait before you start taking a step when it comes to providing care for your child’s dental health. Now is the best time to start caring for their teeth and gums while it is still early so as to prevent oral health conditions before they even happen. While your child grows, their oral health needs attention because it can significantly affect their oral health when they become adults. And when it comes to the oral health of children, pediatric dentists are the dental professionals you can reach out to. Pediatric dentist can be your partners in making sure that your child achieves optimum oral health. They can help you ensure that even your child’s primary teeth are free of decay and cavities. They have the trainings and experience that make them qualify in the diagnosis, and management of oral health conditions concerning a child’s teeth, gums, mouth and other supporting tissues in the mouth. If your child does not receive proper dental care, he or she may be suffering from pain and life time infections and problems.
Why should you bring your child to a pediatric dentist?
A pediatric dentist can help increase your awareness and knowledge on how you can provide proper care for your child’s dental health. He can educate you on the proper techniques in brushing and flossing so as to ensure the thorough cleaning of your child’s teeth. You will also be reminded about your child’s nutrition and diet because these can significantly affect their oral health. Children love sugar and sweets and this is just one of the many reasons why they are prone to tooth decay and cavities. As parents, you should be watching over what your child eats and also pay attention to their habits. Even if they only have their temporary teeth, it does not mean that they deserve any less when it comes to their oral health.
Pediatric dentists are experts when it comes to providing the best oral health care to children, that’s because of their years of experience as well as the special training that they had aside from the 4 years in the dentistry school. They are also skilled in making children feel comfortable, relaxed and worry free during their dental visits. They are the ones who are skilled in terms of the management of oral health conditions that are specific to children.
Some of the services that pediatric dentists provide are listed below:
- Your pediatric dentist can do checkups for you child at an early time so as to prevent tooth decay before it even happens. You can start bringing your child to the dentist as soon as they get their first tooth or as soon as they turn 1 year. During the checkup, your pediatric dentist can provide education about the proper oral home care you can give you child including the use of fluoride, brushing and flossing.
- As soon as your child turns 3 years, you can already bring them to a pediatric dentist for teeth cleanings. This is important to ensure that decay does not start with their milk teeth. It will also allow dentist to make sure that even the gums are in good health and free of infections.
- X-rays can also be taken when the dentist is looking at a possible need for an orthodontic treatment.
- Children can also suffer from gum and periodontal problems and bringing them to a pediatric dentist during the early years, can protect them from suffering from these diseases.
- Pediatric dentists can also provide emergency oral health care services to your child. They can provide urgent attention and treatment to save an infected tooth or address an oral condition that needs immediate care.
Bringing your child to a pediatric dentist during their early years is crucial to making sure that you stay on top of your child’s oral health through adolescence.
For more information on pediatric dentistry, you can call Southern Dental Associates at phone numbers (713) 489-4471.