Five Important Facts About Periodontal Treatment, Webster
- First and foremost, the good news. Periodontal disease is curable. The first step involved is a special clean-ship exercise which is scaling and root planing. This helps in removal of the plaque and tartar deposits on the surface of the tooth and the root of the tooth. Via this procedure, the gum tissue heals, and the periodontal pockets shrink. It is also referred to as periodontal cleaning or deep cleaning. The dentist may even give you some medications for controlling the infection and even the pain which accrues due to this malady.
- The medicines for treating periodontal disease could be pills, mouth-rinses or even a material which the dentist inserts into the periodontal pocket after scaling and root planning are done. At the time of the second trip, the dentist examines how deep the pocket is. Sometimes, the treatment is over at this stage, if the dentist so feels. This has to be followed up with preventive care only. At other times, if the periodontal pockets are deeper than what they should be, then even surgery may be recommended. For this, the patient may need to visit a periodontist or a specialist in this area.
- Surgery removes the inflamed tissue and cut down the damage which is done to the bone which may have formed around and about the concerned tooth. If the pocket enlarges, it is another place where bacteria may breed and cause further trouble to the bone and the tissue, even. With surgery, the doctor will get access to those areas which are otherwise non-accessible. It is possible that tartar and plaque have collected up in these portions and these have to be removed. Sometimes, the dentist may even ask for certain follow up procedures to be done.
- Bone surgery, or bone grafts, incidentally, can be made use of for rebuilding or for reshaping the bone which has been done away with due to periodontal infections. Filters, bone grafts or tissue-stimulating proteins are utilized to egg on the body to for regenerating the bone and the gum tissue. Sometimes, the dentist may use splints, bite guards or even other aids to give stability to the loose teeth and to help in regenerating the tissue. At other times, when a lot of the gum tissue has been done away with, a gum graft may be done to redeem the situation.
- Soft tissue grafts are made use of to cover up the roots or even to egg on the development of gum tissue where the gum line has receded. However, what is essential is that the patient goes in for regular trips to the dental clinic or office for follow up action. Periodontal treatment should never be neglected, or else the patient will have to suffer later on in life. This is one aspect of this whole issue which is always emphasized upon by any good dentist or periodontist. It is best to heed their advice.