Cosmetic dentistry may be something you may want to consider if you are unhappy with your smile or with the overall appearance of your teeth. Cosmetic dentistry offers more benefits far beyond improving your appearance, in fact it offers advantages for the overall quality of your life.
Cosmetic dentistry refers to the dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite. It focuses on the dental aesthetics like color, shape, position, size, alignment and overall smile appearance.
Learn more about the benefits that cosmetic dentistry offers:
- Cosmetic dentistry can correct numerous aesthetic flaws.
Cosmetic dentistry can correct or conceal many concerns such as stains, misshapen teeth, proportionately small teeth, chips, cracks, gapped teeth, ragged gum lines, and more. It produces the results you want. It can even be used to correct the following problems:
- Hereditary dental problems
- Developmental abnormalities
- Cosmetic treatment can make you look younger.
Cosmetic treatments can correct issues that are caused by aging including discoloration and dental erosion.
- Cosmetic treatment can enhance your career.
Having good teeth appearance can make you feel more confident and with more confidence, you are likely to take on greater responsibility and leadership. You will also look happier and that will give you more motivation and dedication to your career.
- Some procedures can help prevent future damage
There are certain procedures under cosmetic dentistry that also strengthens teeth aside from improving their appearance. One example is bonding.
- Cosmetic dentistry can boost your self-confidence.
With an improved overall appearance, you will enjoy greater self-assurance. Aside from looking good in the mirror, you will also feel good about socializing
- Cosmetic dentistry is fairly easy to find
Many dentists specialize in this field and a lot of treatments under cosmetic dentistry can be performed by a general dentist. The field is so widespread that it is easy to find a dentist who can help you with cosmetic work so you will not have to travel far.
- Recovery time is relatively short
While the recovery time depends on the procedure you have done, the times are usually fairly short and simple to recover from. It is also reported that the success rate of the cosmetic procedures are high.
- Cosmetic dentistry has long lasting effects.
Unlike any other cosmetic procedures, cosmetic dental procedures can last up to more than 10 years.
The procedures of cosmetic dentistry are fairly simple:
- Inlays and Onlays – inlays and onlays are also known as indirect fillings, which are made by a dental laboratory, and they are used when a tooth has mild to moderate decay or there is not enough tooth structure to support a filling. If there is no damage to the tooth, the inlay is placed directly to the tooth surface.
Inlays and onlays are made in a dental laboratory from composite resin material and attached to the teeth with adhesive dental cement. The purpose is to provide support to the teeth, restore their shape and avoid any further decay or deterioration.
- Composite Bonding – Composite bonding refers to the repair of decayed, damaged or discolored teeth using a material that looks like a natural teeth. The dentist drill out the tooth decay and then apply the composite on to the tooth surface and mold it to the right shape then cure it using high intensity light. Bonding covers the damage to the tooth and gives it a healthy appearance. This procedure is common to patient with tooth decay, chipped or cracked teeth.
- Dental Veneers – dental veneers are made for each patient to resemble natural teeth as a form of replacement to missing teeth. It is made of medical-grade ceramic and looks exceptionally realistic and resolves cosmetic issues including crooked teeth, cracked teeth and noticeable gaps between teeth.
- Teeth Whitening – Whitening is one of the most basic cosmetic dentistry procedures which can be done either at home or at a dental office. There are several methods and ways by which you can have a brighter teeth but professional teeth whitening is the method that’s known to show results faster.
- Implants – Dental implants are used to replace teeth after tooth loss. A titanium screw is inserted into the jaw to serve as a support for a crown. You can hardly distinguish an implant with the surrounding natural teeth.