We all know how important it is to take care of our teeth, brush them, rinse, and make sure we have a healthy diet to keep them healthy and strong.
But there are a few facts about teeth that not everyone is family with, here we have the top 10 coolest facts about our teeth:
Did you know…?
- Tooth enamel is the hardest part of the human body
- Tooth decay is the second most common disease after the cold.
- Incisors, Canine, Premolars, and Molars are the four types of teeth humans use to cut, tear and grind their food.
- One-third of the tooth is actually underneath the gum – this means that the other two-thirds of the tooth’s length is visible.
- If you are right handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you are left handed, you will chew your food on your left side.
- Drinking 3 or more glasses of soda a day will make you 62% more prone to loosing your teeth and tooth decay.
- Your mouth produces over 25,000 quarts of saliva throughout your life. This means you can fill two swimming pools – Saliva is used to protect your teeth from bacteria in your mouth.
- 14 million gallons of toothpaste are bought in America in a single year!
- Teeth start forming before you are even born, however, they don’t come out until the 6th or 12th month of a baby’s life.
- Humans have two sets of teeth through their life, the first set is referred to as “baby teeth” or “milk teeth”, the second, is our adult set of teeth – sharks have around 40 sets of teeth throughout their life!
Please contact your dentist at any of our Southern Dental branches if you need more information or if you want to book an appointment.