It is normal for anyone to feel scared about any dental procedures since it is a natural response of the brain. However, it is not good to use this as a reason to avoid future visits. Despite the proper practice of hygiene and care at home, it is still highly recommended to seek professional assistance.
For instance, intense pain is something that should not be disregarded even if it suddenly disappears. Although it means that the patient is free from suffering, it may actually indicate the beginning of more discomfort and pain. Dental complications do not have the ability to self-repair. It needs the expertise of a dentist for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
Dental pain that suddenly disappears may indicate a tooth infection. This condition is not something that can be taken lightly. If appropriate measures are not followed, it can cause more pain and damage. Infection can spread throughout the tooth which can only be saved through extraction. Fortunately, instead of having the tooth pulled out as the only option, we at Southern Dental have an even better alternative – Root Canal Therapy.
Root Canal FAQs
What is a Root Canal?
It is a procedure performed under the expertise of a dentist. The process involves the removal of the dead pulp that is located at the center of a tooth to save it from extraction. Although restorative procedures are continuously improved over the years, nothing can compare to the real teeth, that is why a root canal therapy comes in handy.
Is it okay to remove the pulp?
The pulp serves as a sensor that can detect certain irregularities on the teeth that the brain uses for reactions – for example, changes in temperature, pain due to trauma, and the application of pressure. Aside from this, the fully developed teeth can leave without the pulp, so patients are assured that the removal of the tissue would not affect the state of the teeth. Besides, leaving it unattended could cause more harm than good.
Is the procedure extremely painful?
Contrary to what most people believe, root canal therapy is not painful. Aside from the means to provide patients with a comfortable experience like sedation or anesthetics, the procedure is comparable to dental fillings. Besides this, our dentist at Southern Dental is sure to handle each patient with care.
Are there other alternatives?
Unfortunately, aside from root canal therapy, the last course of action would only be a tooth extraction. To preserve the natural structures as much as possible, seek immediate attention if any forms of pain or discomfort are experienced.
For more inquiries about Root Canal Therapy in Houston, TX, call us at Southern Dental! You can visit us at 5703 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Houston, TX 77021.
Losing the luster of the teeth can be experienced by anyone, eventually, due to many factors. Some of the reasons why teeth become discolored are the excessive intake of substances with intense colors, tobacco use, certain medications, advancing age, poor dental hygiene, fluoride intake, and trauma. Thankfully, bringing back a bright, white smile is easier than ever!
Various brands released whitening kits; known toothpaste brands incorporated whitening agents to their products, and dentists offer teeth whitening systems with a professional touch. With these, many people became confused about the ideal product or service to use. The best answer is Professional Teeth Whitening! Although other alternatives are cheaper and easily purchased at drugstores or even online shops, they do not work that much.
At Southern Dental, we have proven that professional teeth whitening systems work and that they are safe for use. Compared to over the counter kits, patients are assured that their teeth and other oral structures are not compromised. Irritations and burns on the soft tissues are avoided due to the preparations performed by dentists beforehand.
What to Expect with Professional Teeth Whitening
- The dentist will record the current shade of the patient’s teeth before starting the treatment.
- Plaque on the surface of the teeth will be removed by polishing.
- Oral retractors will be used to keep the soft tissues like the lips, tongue, and cheeks away from the whitening solution. Doing so is necessary to avoid any possible irritations.
- A specific material will be placed on the gums to act as a barrier to avoid its exposure to the whitening agents.
- It would be possible that the whitening solution will be applied directly on the surface of the teeth or through the help of custom-made whitening trays.
- Depending on the teeth whitening system used, a special light may be used to activate the whitening property of the solution. It is also possible that this process will be repeated in an hour.
- Afterward, fluoride will be applied on the teeth to minimize sensitivity which is quite common. It helps in making sure that the patient would only experience minor discomfort in just a short time.
- Depending on the goal of the patient, additional visits may be scheduled to attain the shade they are aiming for.
Give your smile a boost! Book an appointment with Southern Dental and check out the available options under our Teeth Whitening treatments in Katy, TX. We are located at 1215-N Fry Rd Katy, TX 77449.
A person can only have two sets of teeth in their lifetime: primary teeth or also known as baby teeth and permanent/adult teeth. Since infancy, oral health care should already be practiced. As soon as the first tooth erupts, children must be brought to the dental office to have the dental professional asses their oral health. It is highly recommended to maintain this practice every six months for better results.
Unfortunately, not everyone observes this habit, and others even tend to neglect their oral health! In return, their teeth and other structures are put at risk. Once the teeth are comprised beyond the help of restorative options, what’s left is to undergo teeth extractions. As a person ages, the oral wellness is more likely to deteriorate, hence, increasing the risk for tooth loss due to the rise of oral complications.
At Southern Dental, we offer both regular and surgical extractions as a last resort. Our dental professionals will first exhaust all possible treatments in an attempt to save the tooth from extractions. If it is already too late, we ensure our patients that we perform the removal of the tooth as careful and comfortable as possible.
Most Common Reasons for a Tooth Extraction
- Usually, if a tooth breaks, there are available treatments to stop it from worsening and preserve both its appearance as well as function. However, if the damage reaches near the gumline, an extraction procedure may be performed to avoid any possible complications.
- There are times when a tooth does not fully erupt or remains trapped under the gumline. When this happens, the site of the problem tooth can home bacteria and other harmful substances that can put the structures at risk. The condition is referred to as impaction, and it is pretty common to wisdom teeth. To prevent it from harming the healthy teeth, a surgical extraction will be performed.
- Tooth decay, the leading problem experienced by a multitude of people is also the primary reason why a tooth needs to be removed. If it spreads on a tooth without receiving any professional attention, it may affect the adjacent structures. Extracting the tooth will be a priority to avoid this from happening.
- Like tooth decay, gum disease also results in the removal of the teeth if the problem is left unattended. The condition attacks and weakens the supporting structures like gums and jaw, therefore, leading to the loosening of the teeth on its socket.
For more inquiries about Extractions and Surgery in Stafford, TX, call us at Southern Dental. You can also visit us at 12800 Fountain Lake Cir Stafford, TX 77477.
One of the saddest reality that people who are suffering from periodontal disease face is the fact that dental cost hinders them to treat their condition. Rather than relying on the dental professional for the treatment, they end up leaving the oral problem unattended, without knowing that they are actually putting their lives at a higher risk.
Gingivitis is the early form of periodontal disease. Some indication of the condition includes bleeding gums, especially when brushing or flossing, unpleasant smell of the breath that occurs persistently, and receding gums. If you notice yourself experiencing these symptoms, you should talk to us at Southern Dental immediately as we offer Periodontal or Gum Disease Treatment. Depending on the extent of the problem, our dentist can assess the appropriate procedure to be performed. The treatment that is available in our office includes scaling and root planing, tissue regeneration, pocket elimination surgery, and even dental implants. However, failure to seek the help of the dental professional regarding the right solution can lead to the following:
- Gum disease might not cause a deeper problem to the oral health at first, but when it progresses, it can lead to a more severe complication called advanced periodontitis. When the condition dominates the dental health, tooth loss is more likely to take place.
- Periodontitis is often associated with infections, pus, swelling, and bacterial pockets. If you continue to neglect gum disease in its earliest form, expect these unwanted symptoms to occur in your mouth.
- It is not only the oral health that is affected with untreated gum disease. Many studies show the link between the disease and other health-related problems such as stroke, diabetes, dementia, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and even birth defects ( for pregnant women).
There are numerous ways to prevent the occurrence of gum disease. First, we advise our patients to practice good oral hygiene at all times. Brushing and flossing should be done on a regular basis as well as mouth rinsing. In addition, it is also recommended that patients must comply with their regular dental check-up appointment twice each year.
If you experience early signs of periodontal disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loose teeth or separate teeth, contact our office at Southern Dental for Periodontal/Gum Disease Treatment in Pasadena, TX. You may book your appointment by visiting us at 7219 Fairmont Pkwy. Suite 100 Pasadena, TX 77505.
History, indeed, is loaded with outrageous teeth tales! Never heard some of them before? Sit back, relax, and get ready to be amazed as we at Southern Dental listed down fun and bizarre dental stories from the past that will leave a smile in your faces.
The won battle of Yorktown because of dental woes.
In the height of the Revolutionary War, George Washington’s dentist received a letter from the Commander in Chief himself containing a request for some dental cleaning tools to be dispatch to New York, with a note stating that the American forces wouldn’t be in Philadelphia any time soon. The British stopped the correspondence, making them think that Washington would not command his army to move to Yorktown. However, the Americans did launch an attack on Yorktown, surprising the unaware British forces, making them win the battle!
The powerful tooth.
Did you know that there is actually an existing temple for a tooth? In Sri Lanka, there is one temple that homed the left canine of Buddha. When Buddha died, his tooth became impactful in the field of politics. They believe that the one who has the tooth deserve to govern the country. It is the reason why the tooth has been passed down from generation to generation of monarchs as a mark of great power and authority to rule. What a strong tooth after all!
Spinach on the teeth? Ew!
Mick Jagger, the famous frontman for the movie Rolling Stones, in the quest of adding sparkles to his smile tried placing an emerald chip in one of his teeth. Ironically, a majority of the people thought it was a bit of spinach. After such time, he removed the spinach-looking thing on his tooth and replaced it with ruby. Unfortunately, he always hears people telling him it was a blood droplet. Tired Jagger settled on a diamond finally.
Getting into the role.
Admit it. Hard work and dedication keep actors in their career. As for the Pirates in the Caribbean star Johnny Depp, he invested in the real gold caps to put on his teeth. He devotedly wore them after the third film was finished. On the other hand, the comedy star in the movie The Hangover, Ed Helms, is seen as someone with a missing tooth after being punched by Mike Tyson, the boxing legend. Well, his toothless smile is real! Surprised? After one of his permanent front teeth never grew in, he invested in a dental implant to improve the appearance of his grin. But for the sake of the film, he had it taken out to look authentic in his role.
Dental implants are made up of either metal posts or frames positioned surgically into the bone of the jaw to replace the missing teeth. When in need of one, contact us at Southern Dental for we provide Dental Implants services.
For inquiries about Dental Implants in Webster, TX, book your appointment with us at Southern Dental. You can also visit us at 1249 W Bay Area Blvd Webster, TX 77598.